Saturday, May 16, 2009

Yummy lemon lime cupcakes

I have a subscription to Canadian Living magazine. The May 2009 issue arrived with cupcakes on the cover. YUMMMMMY! Now I was just waiting for a occasion to make some. My opportunity arrived with Mother's Day, or in our case, Mother's Day on the May long weekend. Here is the recipe:















Lemon Lime Cupcakes
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tbsp each grated lemon and lime rind*
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk

(*I used the rind of one lemon and one lime. The lemon is easier to grate for the rind. My grandmother asked what the black things were in the cupcakes, so I think I will just use the lemon rind next time.)

In a large bowl, beat butter with granulated sugar until fluffy; beat in eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in lemon and lime rinds and lemon juice.
In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; stir into butter mixture alternately with milk, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of the milk. Spoon into paper-lined or greased muffin cups*.
(* I ended up filling them almost 3/4 of the way full, and they didn't rise over the edge of the muffin tin.)
Bake in 350 degree oven until cake tester inserted in centre come out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to rack; let cool.

Butter Icing
3/4 cup butter, softened (I ran out of butter and used 1/2 cup butter, 1/4 cup becel margarine, it was fine)
3 3/4 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

In bowl beat butter until light; beat in sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. beat in milk and vanilla. Makes about 2 1/2 cups, which the magazine said was enough for 12 cupcakes, I found I had quite a bit leftover. I tinted it with some yellow paste colouring.

No comments: