Monday, October 13, 2008

Little Miss Suzie Homemaker

That is who I feel like today. Here I am blogging about my domestic exploits today with my apron still tied around my waist.

I already have turkey broth made from our delicious turkey that we had for Thanksgiving dinner last night cooling in the fridge, and dinner simmering in the slow cooker. Yummy salsa chicken! We were going to have some ribs in the slow cooker today to get away from the poultry but I wasn't chanelling my inner domestic diva last night and as a result the ribs are still frozen solid in the freezer. Ooops.

Everytime I make something for dinner, I think of my great-grandmother. Before she passed, (She passed away 8 years ago when I was 21) she sat me down one day and asked me if I knew how to cook. At that point she was bed ridden as a result of her lung cancer. I told her of course I knew how to cook. Then she got this frustrated look on her face and said that she knew that I could bake, but could I cook dinner for my husband one day?

I probably rolled my eyes and said that she didn't have to worry, my future husband would not starve. I think her and Andre would've got along. She loved to cook, and he loves to eat! I don't know why but I've been thinking about her a lot lately. She's just been on my mind for some reason.

"In the childhood memories of every good cook, there's a large kitchen, a warm stove, a simmering pot, and a mom."
~Barbara Costikyan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ah, I want to be that mom in your qoute at the end.
And I love the memories of grandparents past... she sounds like she was a great woman!