Thursday, October 16, 2008

Awkward Meeting

After practicing as long as I have (9 years). I've met a lot of people. Hundreds of people even. Occasionally while out and about I will run into them. Hell, while picking up a few things at the grocery store last Friday afternoon I ran into three! I've learned over the years to wait until the client makes eye contact in case they feel uncomfortable, whatever. People are strange sometimes. Usually people give a smile, the usual "hello, how are you?" sort of thing.

Just the other week I was weeding out some of my inactive files and I was wondering about a few of my clients that haven't been in for awhile. Wondering if they were okay, etc, etc. I was out grocery shopping with Andre on a break this afternoon and he was loading the groceries while I ran into Shoppers Drugmart for a few things. There in the nail care aisle was one of those clients.

She noticed me and smiled and asked how I was, but it was like she was trying to walk out of the aisle as fast as she could while still trying to be polite. The whole time trying to make small talk, she was walking backwards out of there. Now I'm not offended when people stop coming to see me. It happens.

I almost feel like wearing a sign while I'm out just in case I run into an old client. It would read: Don't worry, I'm not going to ask why you haven't been in, it's okay!

No comments: