Friday, October 17, 2008

Let's talk about Faith

I have such interesting conversations with clients. I talk about sex, husbands, housework, stress, depression, you name it, I've probably talked about it with someone at one point in my career. Even the two taboo subjects (politics and religion) I have talked about with my clients. Now these are two of the subjects that I won't even talk about with some of my closest friends, well especially since my best friend is an agnostic.

I have the most amazing conversations about religion with my clients. Now I'm pretty open about my faith. I mean, someone would only have to look as far as the cross that hangs around my neck 99% of the time to know that I am a person of faith. If someone asks me about anything regarding religion or faith I will answer and speak openly. I will answer (just about) any question that someone asks, but I don't like to push my opinions and beliefs on others (although people have tried to do that to me).

Just yesterday I was talking to one of my clients about the owner of the chiropractic office that I work at. We were discussing how she is always happy, always has a smile, or hug for her patients, and just exudes enthusiasm the entire time at the office. We were joking about how we just don't know how she does it for 12 hours a day without the help of well alcohol, or pharmaceuticals! Then my clients mentioned that her (the chiro's) faith shows through in everything that she does.

Then we started talking about people that we've met, and how their faith just amazes us sometimes. How it's almost as if every word, every action that they do during the day is just a display of their faith, their thankfulness for everything God has given them. It makes me think of my own life, my own actions. Do I do the best I can everyday to live as a person of faith? How can I improve this?

"Faith is the light that guides you through the darkness."
~- M. Eckhart

No comments: