Saturday, October 25, 2008

Holy Engagements Batman!

So we've had some good news over the last few weeks. Two of our friends have gotten engaged. Andre's friend Mike, and my friend Lindsay. Both have decided to take the leap with their respective mates and get married. Looks like we'll have two weddings over the next year or so, and both will be in the cooler weather.

Mike and his fiance Lisa have set a date for March 2009, and Lindsay and Greg have set a date for January 2010.

I think we were a little surprised to hear of Mike's engagement being his nickname in the group was "Hugh" (as in Hefner). Mike had a reputation as being quite the ladies man, so here's hoping that Lisa has managed to convert him into the dutiful husband. Then there's the matter of where they're going to live as he lives and works in Bermuda, and she works and lives in Australia. Should be interesting.

Lindsay and I got together just this past Thursday for dinner and I finally got to hear all the details of Lindsay and Greg's engagement and how their wedding planning had been going. Apparently her in laws to be have decided that they should in no way be responsible for any part of the wedding, and that it is the bride's families responsibility to pay for everything. And they made that opinion made by e-mailing their opinion to both Lindsay and Greg, as well as Lindsay's mother. Yeah, they're crazy. The best part is when they called Lindsay's mother to ask why her ex husband was only inviting 11 people because of budget constraints. Who does this?!!

I'm so thankful Andre and I avoided that problem all together by just paying for our wedding ourselves. Our parents contributed, but it was because they wanted to, not because we made them.

I had an awkward moment with Lindsay too when we went out for dinner just this past Thursday. The most fun moment when a friend gets engaged is when you get to see your girlfriend's engagement ring for the first time. Who doesn't love showing it off?! Well we sat down at the restaurant and then I asked for the hand so she could show off her bling.

Hmmm, well it was small, like really small. Not we opted for a flawless diamond, and this is what we ended up with, but just small. And it was yellow gold. She only wears white gold. It seemed like she had been trying to hide it while we were out, so I asked her about the setting to distract from the diamond. It was set with her birthstones on either side, so it was a nice setting.

Then she asked to see my rings. The first thing she says is "holy crap Jenna, your ring is huge!" (it's not) How do you respond to that? So I told her that it only looks big because I have six prongs so it makes it look bigger. (which is true). Then she asks me how big the stone is (kill me now). I tell her, and she's like "yeah, I think mine is what they call a diamond particle." I immediately changed the subject to something else.

I think I'm going to skip the whole looking at the engagement ring next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the "yeah, they're crazy" comment... my thoughts exactly.

and, I'd skip the ring thing too in the future, unless the bride to be in obviously trying to show it off.