Monday, February 22, 2010

What a difference a day makes

Yesterday was an abnormally mild day for February. It was a great day though. The sun was shining, the light dusting of snow that was on the ground was melting. I think almost everyone in my neighbourhood decided to get out of the house and go for a walk yesterday. I know we did! I also turned down the thermostat and opened the windows to air the house out. Andre loves the fresh air, so he was more than happy to open the windows. So was Mikey, he ran from one end of the house to another, then would jet up the stairs and do the same thing upstairs running from one bedroom to another. We decided he must have had an early case of spring fever!


Today was completely different on the other hand. I had the day off today so I decided I would make a trip downtown to renew my healthcard, and maybe do a little shopping at the only Cotton Ginny left in the city (they have fabulous organic cotton clothing). I checked the forecast and they were forecasting 5-10cm of snow. Not really a ton of snow, but I was really doubtful as we haven't really had that much snow this entire winter. For once they were right!


Thank goodness I was smart enough to wear my winter boots when I left this morning because the snow started around noon as I was waiting for my bus home. Here is what our backyard looks like now. Keep in mind when I left the house this morning all you could see was grass everywhere.





Even my tracks that I made a few hours ago are almost filled up. Mother nature makes no signs of stopping either. It's still snowing big fluffy snow flakes out there. It was so nice this afternoon to curl up under my big blanket and just relax in my warm house instead of being outside. Days like today also remind me of when we lived in the apartment. It was a basement apartment so there were no huge windows that showed what was going on outside. The biggest windows were in the front of the house, so when it snowed we would keep wandering to the bedroom checking out how much snow had fallen then wait for the plough to go down the street so we could rush outside and dig out the car that was parked on the street.

Now thankfully we're in the townhouse, and there is a company that comes to clear out the parking lot so we rarely have to shovel a flake. But just in case we always have a shovel waiting in the shed just beside our front door.

No comments: