Monday, February 8, 2010

One Step Closer

This morning was the follow up appointment with my gynocologist, Dr. A. My first appointment with him I was impressed. Finally someone who was concerned about what was going on, and not going on. Someone who was on my side! This feeling quickly faded with subsequent appointments with him. I felt that he was just not prepared, and didn't even take the time to review my chart before entering the room. He was always asking questions that he had already asked (and already recorded in my chart). Not very reassuring.

Today was no different. This time was a little different in that Andre came with me, and came into the treatment room with me. I think this was a little bit of an eye opener for him with all the life-sized female reproductive system pictures, and models. Also the exam table with the stirrups was right in front of us.

Dr A started by asking me when my last menstrual cycle was. I told him the date (almost 60 days ago). He then asked me if he had "assisted with this". Seriously?! This was the doctor that prescribed the 14 days of the Provera. Check your chart doc, seriously. I told him yes, he had prescribed 14 days of Provera. He asked me a few questions about how I was on it, and I told him the length of my period. He then asked what we wanted to do next. I told him we were trying to get pregnant.

He then told me that there was no reason why this couldn't happen as my hormone levels were completely normal (flipped through the chart for this information), and my ultrasounds were all normal. He then told me that I could just call him anytime for an ultrasound to confirm a pregnancy! I was a little speechless at this point. I then very calmly told Dr A that I had been charting since the day I stopped taking birth control almost 18 months prior, and that I did.not.ovulate. Again, all information that was in my chart!

So the best part of the appointment was that he told me that he would be referring me to Dr C. Dr C is a Reproductive Endocrinologist (RE) and he runs a Fertility Clinic in my city. So Andre and I are one step closer. Hopefully by the end of the month we will just be counting the days (or weeks) until our first visit with the RE. Someone who will tell us definitively what we will have to do to have a baby of our own.

Until then we will continue to chart, and pray that maybe, just maybe we'll be able to do this the old fashioned way.

1 comment:

Kelly O. said...

how frustrating. I'm suprised you didn't hit him over the head with said chart!