Monday, October 5, 2009

Mean to Green (er)

Welcome to the new feature! From here on out whenever you see a blog entry with the Mean to Green (er) title there will be a little tip, or product review from yours truly. This will hopefully happen every week!


First of all lets start off with a disclaimer: First of all I am not an environmentalist. I am not an expert on all things environmentally friendly. I am just a person like you trying to do my part to help this planet that we all share. Some of you that may read this blog may be thinking "this isn't green! There is something else that she could be doing that is better!" My answer to that: There definitely could be! My belief is that if everyone did just one little thing that was better for the environment then we could make a huge difference. Not everyone has to become all granola and buy only organic or second hand clothes, slap some solar panels on their roof and bike to work to be more environmentally conscious. You can start slowly with a few little things around your house. These are the things I am going to share with you. Do with them what you will.

Now for my first Mean to Green (er) entry!

Today I thought I would start with something that I have been doing around my house for quite some time now. I originally got the idea from the Hyper Homemaker Blog. Don't bother going to google it. It sadly doesn't exist anymore. She does however have a cooking blog Good Things Catered . Check it out!

The first little recipe that I am going to give you can replace this nasty product:


Oh Comet, I don't even want to know how many nasty substances are in there, but you are no longer welcome in my home!

You can use these two little products to not only effectively clean your sink, but deodorize the drain, as well as keep the drain running clear so you do not have to use other nasty things like Drano.




That's right folks, just a little white vinegar and a little baking soda is all you need!

First start off with a dirty sink. (I can't believe that I'm posting a picture of my dirty sink, but here it goes!) I thought I would make it as dirty as possible and leave some flour in the bottom from baking.



Then pour in some baking soda:


Then you're going to add the vinegar:

This should happen:



Use your handy dandy little cloth or sponge, scrub your sink with that foamy baking soda and vinegar mixture. The baking soda is a mild abrasive, so it will gently scrub all the dirty grossness in your sink, and the acid in the vinegar disinfects and kills the bad stuff in your sink. For a quick little article about how effective vinegar is go here .

Then you are left with this:



Ta da! A beautifully clean (disinfected) sink and all you needed was some ingredients from your kitchen pantry. Who would've thought that our grandmothers all those years ago had a good thing going?

Now go and clean your sink!

1 comment:

Cara said...

I do this too. I love it and it's so simple. I use lemon juice too for a nice smell sometimes too.