Sunday, August 30, 2009

Cinnamon roll run through

I'm having some friends over in a few weeks for brunch pot-luck. We each take turns hosting, and I offered to host this next one. I was searching online for something new and exciting to make, and came across what looked like a very decadent Cinnabon Cinnamon Roll recipe on recipezaar.com. I had a recipe made with potato dough, but it was so time consuming, and this one could be made with the help of my bread maker, so I had to give it a try! Now that I have tried this recipe I will be making it again for the brunch.


With anything that involves a dough, I like pictures. There is something about being able to compare my product to the recipe that is comforting, so I snapped some pictures while baking this afternoon. The recipe that I am including below is to be used with a breadmaker on the dough setting, with a few little changes that I included after reading the reviews on the site.

Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls

DOUGH
1 cup warm milk
2 eggs at room temperature
1/3 cup butter (margarine) cut into small pieces
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp salt
4 cups all purpose flour
1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp bread maker yeast)

FILLING
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon (I used Saigon Cinnamon, the one referred to in the comments section. It is the one I use regularly at home. It can be found at Costco.)
1/3 cup margarine, softened (butter does not spread as well on the dough)

ICING
1 block of cream cheese (I used light)
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tablespoons milk, enough to aid in spreading consistency (optional. I found it was not needed after being whipped into submission in my stand mixer.)

Directions
1. Add the ingredients for the dough in the order listed above (or according to your bread makers instructions. Turn on machine to dough setting and go and relax with a book. Here is what the dough looked like right before I took it out of the bread machine:
















2. Take dough out of bread maker and roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface, until it is approx 21 inches long by 16 inches wide. It should be approx 1/4 inch thick.
3. To make filling, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
4. Spread the softened margarine over the surface of the dough, then sprinkle the brown sugar and cinnamon evenly over the surface.
















15. Working carefully, from the long edge, roll the dough down to the bottom edge. I cut the log in half, then in half again. Each one of those four logs can be cut into three rolls. Here is the the last log being sliced:















6. Cut the dough into 1 3/4 inch slices, and place in a lightly greased baking pan.
7. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
8. Cover the pan with a cloth and place on the preheating oven for 30 minutes or until the rolls rise to almost twice in size.
Here they are ready to go into the oven after the 2nd rise:














9. Bake for approx. 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
(Mine were slightly dark at after 18 minutes in the oven.)















10. While the rolls are baking combine the icing ingredients.
11. Beat well with an electric mixer until fluffy.
12. When the rolls are done, spread generously with icing.





















It was a little close to dinner time when I finished everything. But I had to steal just a little nibble to be able to give an honest opinion. They are in a word, yuuuuuuuumy! They are very rich as the recipe predicted, and very addictive, so I will be giving some to my mother tonight when she goes to visit my grandmother so they can share, and then I will be taking some more to the office tomorrow for the girls there to enjoy.
Do you think my friends will like them?

3 comments:

Kelly O. said...

mmmmmm..........they look fantastic!
I'm soooo going to try them!

Unknown said...

I'll let you know!! :D

Kelly O. said...

I've made these 6 times and given your blog link out to at least a dozen people so they could find the recipe. I'm making them again tomorrow for a back yard tent party breakfast. thanks Jenna for sharing such a good recipe. (I half the icing and they're still good!I'm just cheap!)