Monday, August 10, 2009

Bye Bye Wallpaper!

For anyone that saw my house in all it's 70's/80's tackiness will know that quite a few rooms had wallpaper. The front hall, dining room, bathroom, kitchen and office all had wallpaper. After today the only room that is left with wallpaper is the office.

I had the day off today. After Andre left for work I was left wondering what to do with myself. I was very tempted to spend the day sitting around reading, but decided that I would tackle the kitchen. Sadly this room has been sitting half done for about 7 months. For some reason the fact that this room was incomplete didn't bother me as much as the others. That and I was completely undecided about colour to paint the room.

So after I kissed my honey good bye I got dressed, threw my hair in a ponytail and got to tackling the one remaining wall with wallpaper.

To refresh your memory, this is what the kitchen looked like when we saw the house for the first time:

(listing photos)



Unfortunately you can't see in much detail the wonderful green wallpaper and border that fully compliments the green trim, the green counter top, the green back splash, and the green knobs.

And this is what the kitchen looked like today after I finished taking down the wallpaper:



I know you all are so jealous of the now bright peach on the walls. (And complete lack of storage.)

The little bits of colour on either side of the window is the actual colour that I have chosen for the kitchen. I was at a total loss choosing the colour that would not only have to work with the green, but the new drapes on the window, and the colour that we have painted the entire main floor. After a fruitless trip to Home Depot I ended up at a local Benjamin Moore dealer. I needed help.

After about 15 minutes maximum, the wonderful consultant had helped me narrow down some colours and then I finally decided on "Desert Tan". I also chose their new Aura paint (I'm so not telling Andre that one gallon cost $70!). I had been thinking about trying a new low VOC paint, and not only does Aura fit the bill, but it's also a 3-in-1 paint, meaning it primes, can go over oil or latex paint, and it is scrubbable, which is much needed in a kitchen. The bonus is that apparently it dries super quickly, so it's ready for the next coat in only an hour!

So here are some close-ups of the new paint choice for the kitchen:





What do you think?

Unfortunately my work weeks are pretty busy, so I will not have any after shots for you all until I have a weekend free to paint. Hopefully that will be this Sunday, since Andre and I will be at my grandparents cottage for their annual summer BBQ all day Saturday.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

OHHH I love it! I am inpressed you spend your days off stripping wallpaper.

Never mind I am impressed you sepnd you day off getting dressed and putting a ponytail in.

I might not have even left the bed.

haha!