Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Bargain Shopping!

My mother and I have a routine every Sunday for the most part. We go to Tim Horton's for breakfast, sometimes after church, sometimes instead of church (shhh don't tell!) and then do a little shopping to pick up some odds and ends that were in the sale flyers. Then I usually make sure to put everything away before Andre gets home from work that night!

So this Sunday my mother had to go and pick up a ring that she had repaired, and I had to get my wedding rings that I had re dipped. We arrived at the mall just before it opened, and the only store that was open was Bowrings. My mother and I love this store. It has everything. Gifty picture frames, candle holders, furniture, dishes, you name it, they probably have it.

I have been searching for something to put on the one wall in the dining room. I couldn't decide on whether I wanted a hutch, buffet, or console table. All I knew is that I needed something on that wall.

Then I spotted it. A beautiful console table, on sale (!). It was a floor model and had been loved, and was covered in other sale merchandise. It had a few little nicks and scratches, but it was so great. So I asked the saleswoman if it was on sale (knowing full well it was). She said that one had a few scratches, but she could order a new one for me if I wished. I told her I wanted this one, and the $399 table was mine for $150.

I'm so lucky Andre doesn't really bat an eye at my furniture buying. He got home from work and took it surprisingly well when I told him I went out and just bought a table from the dining room. I think he was hoping I had bought a piece of art for the wall instead.

So here are some pictures of the new table!

The table in it's new home in the dining room.

The table with the one side pulled out. Both sides fold out which will come in handy at family dinners.

Here is a picture of the entire dining room.

(before I unwrapped the table)

You can see from this picture what I mean about needing something for that one wall. It is so bare. The dining room table looked so bare in that room all alone. At least now it has some company. We have some family photos that we have picked out for the narrow wall on the opposite side of the doorway, we just need to buy some frames, since I want all the frames to be black. Now I just have to find something to put above the table. Something with green and neutral tones to flow with the living room.

Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Kelly O. said...

So amazing! I love a good deal! I so remember shopping with you and sale "trolling". I so miss those days!
Instead of a picture why don't you get some custom vinyl art done or put a saying up there or something...
like this?...

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=28799987&ref=sr_gallery_6&&ga_search_query=vinyl+wall+art&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=2&order=date_desc&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

you can find tons of different styles or design your own on Etsy.com... just put vinyl wall art in the search and you will have LOADS of possibilities!

Unknown said...

Ikea has some great art, really cheap! Let me know if you want to check it out, I have to go buy a desk sometime soon :)

Mr and Mrs M said...

That vinyl art is so gorgeous! I'm a huge fan of vinyl art, I have a saying up in the bedroom, but I haven't seen one like that before.

I was thinking of Ikea to scope out their art work for sure. They have some great prints on canvas. (I so don't want to have to frame something)

Sarah said...

That table is beautiful! also "sometimes instead of church" love this, hee hee!