Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Dinner

I figured since Andre is at work, dinner is in the slow cooker, and the dishes are air drying in the rack I can finally sit with some cookies that I purchased at the Church Bazaar yesterday and share the details of our dinner last night.

The great experiment--our first date night with Pam and Mike post Abbey. I think all of us (or maybe just Pam and I) were a little nervous about how the evening would progress. So, usually if we would be doing an evening together we would have them over to our place, since Pam feels too much pressure if she has to cook anything, and I'm used to having no time to prepare a meal. Since the addition of Abbey to our little group, we decided it would be better to have the dinner at their house so Abbey was in her own territory, and Pam would be more relaxed.

So we arrived at their house around 5:30 to find Pam in a tizzy because Abbey had decided that she was in no way interested in sleeping that day, and would rather stay up with her dad instead. Pam thrives on routine, so she was very stressed to say the least. The first part of the evening before dinner we spent the time whispering and sitting in the dark living room because Pam wanted Abbey to go to sleep, and instead of putting her in her crib down the hall (there house is on one floor) she put her in the playpen in the living room.

Thank goodness Abbey decided she was rested enough after about 45 minutes because after a long day and a glass of wine I would've fallen asleep in the dark! Pam fed Abbey while the rest of us ate dinner and then Pam had finished feeding the baby about the same time I finished dinner so I took Abbey so Pam could eat her dinner. Abbey was overtired so she was a bit fussy so I took her soother and started to walk around to calm her, and every five seconds Pam was asking "is she okay?", "are you okay?", finally after about the fifth time I told her there were no tears, no crying and no flailing arms and legs so Abbey was just fine.

After dinner Mike took Abbey to her room to try and get her to sleep a bit while we had some dessert, and then around 9:30 I started to get tired from the dim lights and the wine, so Andre and I headed home, and arrived just at 10pm, just as I had predicted when we were driving to their house.

I think considering everything it was a good first dinner together. For the past three years we have always gotten together for a dinner in December to celebrate the holidays with each other and have made plans to get together in about a month again this year. We also decided since we're all not huge fans of New Years we would spend New Years together again this year as well. We'll see how all that goes.

One thing I have noticed is that whenever I'm with Pam and she's starting to get anxious or stressed with Abbey she'll always turn to me and say something like "See, doesn't this make you not want to have kids?" I was kind of just smile, and change the subject. How do you tell someone that you do eventually want kids, but that the experience might be different for us?
One other thing that happened on Saturday is that Andre and Abbey got to meet each other for the second time, and Andre got to hold her for the first time. He hasn't really seen her since we visited them in the hospital way back in August, and he's never had a chance to hold her. So I brought our camera with us last night so I could snap a picture of the two of them together.


Abbey has a thing with holding onto fingers, clothing, anything really as a security sort of thing. While Andre was holding her she grabbing his thumb and shirt, he kept saying "Look at those tiny little hands. Look at those nails!"

On the way home in the car Andre was commenting on holding Abbey, making sure he was holding her right and doing a good job. He was talking about how he liked holding her. Then out of the blue he says "I'll make a great dad one day."

No comments: