Thursday, June 4, 2009

Our garden

While I was snapping some pictures of the new patio set I decided to get some pictures of the flowerbeds that I had planted this year. As per the rest of the house, the backyard had been sadly neglected as well. The grass is covered in dandelions and violets, and the (naked) flowerbeds were edged in railway ties. If you have no clue what they are, you will soon find out.

I spent many hours running to the windows on both sides of the house to see where the sun was at that particular time to judge what flowers need to be planted where. Unfortunately I do not have any before pictures of these flowerbeds, but just close your eyes and imagine a pile of dirt and weeds, that's pretty much the before. Here are the during:

The left side garden:
This flowerbed has sun for a good portion of the day, from dawn until 5pm. So there are 3 mini rose bushes, a clematis on the far right in the corner, a hydrangea in the middle, and then a border of sun impatiens to add a pop of colour this year while everything is getting established. The big leafy thing is the remaining bit of who-knows-what. It was on Andre's to-do list today to chop it down, but as of right now it's 5:16 and it has yet to be done. It's anyone's guess if this will happen! Remember what I said about railway ties? Well all that wood lining this flowerbed is railway ties. I want them ripped out on the outside and a scalloped border put in. That's next on the list.

Now for the far right garden:This garden gets absolutely no sun, so for over here, I chose a classic bleeding heart with white flowers, and some shade impatiens for a little bit of colour. Eventually the bleeding heart will take over most of the space, exactly what I want to happen. We will edge this garden with a scalloped border too, but I still have to decide if we will be widening the patio a bit more his way, so until that happens it will remain as is.

So there you have it! That's are garden as it looks today. As soon as I take some after pics of the front I will post the before, during and after.

No comments: