Saturday, December 6, 2008

Hurt Feelings

There was one not so great part about finding the house; having to break the news to my grandmother. You may remember this post from July. My grandmother has had her townhouse on the market since August. Her home is in the condominium complex next to the one my parents live in (one big happy family!). Her home is slightly larger than the one we purchased, and the price she's willing to drop to is a whopping $15 000 more than what our final ending point was.

I called her on Thursday to let her know the news. I had told friends and other family members before her. I knew that she wasn't going to be happy that we didn't buy her home. So the phone call was very painful to say the least. She did a good job of saying everything that a supportive grandmother is suppose to say, but she was lacking the enthusiasm that everyone else had when we shared our news.

She told me that she would've been willing to work out a deal (not one that we could afford), and she questioned us about the amount that we had been approved for, and then told us that that plus our down payment was only a few thousand that what she wanted for the house. Never mind that that amount was still a good $12 000 more than what we could comfortably pay every month in mortgage payments.

No matter what we said she just would not understand that although the bank was willing to give us all that money we didn't/couldn't spend it all. She didn't care that by taking her home we would be overextending ourselves to the point of literally living pay cheque to pay cheque. She only cared that we would've taken her home therefore solving her problem of having to sell.

Fast forward to today. My mother called me to tell me what my grandmother felt about us purchasing the other house. My grandmother told her that she was "hurt" that we didn't try and buy her home, and that she would've given us a deal. It's like she refuses to see our end. She just won't try and understand that we want money leftover at the end of the month to pay down our debt, go out, make improvements to the house, hell maybe even put some into savings. She refuses to see beyond her reality.

You'd think that she'd put her own situation aside and just be happy that her oldest granddaughter and her husband just purchased their first home. But no, she'll sit at home feeling sorry for herself for weeks on end now.

I wish this all was easier. This is just the mess I feared would happen.

No comments: