Sunday, July 13, 2008

Commence finger crossing now!

The one thing that I want more than anything (well maybe almost as much as winning the lottery) is to own our own home. I want to be able to decorate the way I want. I want to have a kitchen that actually has useful storage, or more useful storage than we have right now. I want a garden to plant some flowers. I want more room!! Oh the list is endless, but I would settle for a little home of our own.

We don't have unrealistic dreams. We know that in order to stay in the area that we are renting in we won't be able to have the single home. That just won't be possible. We're fine with this and are perfectly willing to own a townhouse. We're currently working with a financial planner at our bank to help make that dream a reality.

A topic of conversation that routinely comes up is my grandmother's inability to maintain her home. She owns a 3 bedroom (converted from a 4 bdrm) townhouse behind my mother's home. She is a pack rat/hoarder and her house is, well, in one word disgusting. I can't stand to spend a significant amount of time there.

Well apparently my mom and grandma were talking on Saturday and my grandmother mentioned that she's thinking that she might have to downsize to an apartment in a year because she can't take care of the house. This is huge because she's finally realizing what we've known for years, and we could possibly be ready to purchase a home by the time she's ready to sell!

I'm not particularly attached to her home, so if something else in the area went up for sale when we were ready to buy that was more suitable (ie. more move-in ready) we would probably take that instead, but the town homes in her area have been selling in just a couple weeks so they don't last on the market very long.

It's fun to daydream about our one day home!

No comments: