Sunday, July 20, 2008

My Garden

The one downfall (well the one that I will talk about right now) is that we do not have our own garden. I love to garden. Nothing fancy, but it's very satisfying to see your hard work bloom throughout the summer. Luckily my grandmother and mother both have homes with little gardens, so I get to help them out with their gardens.

When Andre and I moved into our current apartment just over two years ago my mother bought us three African Violet plants as a housewarming present. Shortly after their arrival we found out that our cat Mikey also had an appreciation for flowers. But his was more of a destructive sort of relationship with them. Now two years later I have one hardy little violet left after all the carnage. I've tried fertilizer and moving it to different locations, but with being in a basement apartment it's hard to find a place where it will have enough light.

I think I may have found the perfect place for it. A little while ago I had a talk with my friend Pam about our love of Lavender, both the scent and the plant. We had both tried growing it from seed, but had only succeeded it growing mold. Definitely not as exciting. So she surprised me one night by giving me a little potted Lavender plant. She had bought one already germinated, and re potted a little bit of the plant for me.

I put it on the window ledge, and soon discovered that Mikey hates it because it smells! Yeah for me (and the lavender plant)! So now I have a well lit home for both my violet and my lavender. This week the lavender finally started to bloom. I was so excited, and just had to share some pictures.

No comments: