Friday, August 29, 2008

Things they are a changin'

I knew things were going to change once my best friend Pam had her baby. I knew they would. I have enough friends with children to know that we wouldn't be able to get together as much, and if we would we would have to do a TON of planning before. I knew that most of our conversations would revolve around babies. (Little did I know most of those conversations would revolve around her babies poop) I knew that it would be a long while before the four of us (now five) would be able to do the couple's date thing. In short I expected change, lots and lots of change.

I don't think I expected to be shut out of everything for the most part though. I mean before the baby arrived we would be calling all the time. She would be trying to arrange coffee dates, or lunch dates to get out of the house. I would be subjected to hours upon hours of expectant baby talk (50% of which I minded). Now that she's had the baby? Nothing. I'm politely told that she's too stressed out to have visitors of any kind. (Aside from the one brief visit that I was granted) Phone calls are about two minutes long.

I don't know what I expected. I really don't. I guess I just feel hurt that I gave so much of myself to be the supportive friend while she was pregnant, half because I wanted to, half because she needed/wanted it, and now that the baby is born I am thrust to the side and don't get to experience any of what I helped her get through. I haven't even received so much as a copy of a mass e-mail of pictures.

I know to some I will sound selfish, and a bit like a drama queen, but that's the beauty of this being my blog, and it being a blog that hardly anyone reads! I just needed to get my feelings out there in some form.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm reading your blog now, and I hope that things are starting to get better with Patti, but if not (which I suspect), I've been there with a friend too, and it sucks... lots of heartache in losing a friend after putting so much time and energy into the friendship.
take care,
Mrs.Rachel