Sunday, August 17, 2008

Things that make you go HMMMM

I had a dental appointment earlier this week to help fix a tooth that I had destroyed by clenching my jaws too tightly at night. After waiting in the waiting room for an hour, then the consultation room for a half hour and then finally the procedure room for another half an hour I was reminded about an annoying thing that all dentists do.

They always feel the need to talk to you once they have frozen your mouth and face so thoroughly that you're lucky if you don't look like a stroke victim with your mouth drooping and spit sliding down the side of your face. Why do they feel the need to do this?

First it was the assistant feeling the urge to speak to me about the two elementary schools in my neighbourhood that her daughter attends. Then the dentist who was commenting on my watering eye while my mouth is cranked open with a piece of rubber jammed in there (yes I know, attractive visual).

I did realize that there are quite a few ways you can make "ummhmmm, umm huh, and hmmmm mean so many different things. Maybe I should make a submission to Websters to have these added to their dictionary? That or dentists should just let me be drilled in peace without asking stupid questions.

No comments: