Monday, December 21, 2009

Mean to Green (er)

Wow, I have really been slacking off with this haven't I? I promise that with the long awaited Christmas vacation that I have booked off work that I will add a few more of these little tips.
You may or not remember that with my last Mean to Greener entry I talked about my love of my steam mop. One thing that I love about the mop are the micro fibre cleaning cloths and how I can throw them in the laundry instead of throwing them into the trash. The one thing I didn't love is that clear as day on the tag of any micro fibre item is the warning not to use fabric softener! One of my vices is my:

I know, I know, but I love the smell! So I had a problem. But then I remembered something I had read about using some:


instead of fabric softener. After a little searching on the internet to assure myself that my laundry would not end up smelling like french fries, I gave it a shot. And let me tell you I was shocked! Not only were my towels soft and fluffy, but they were just clean smelling. No artificial scents!

All I needed was a couple tablespoons of vinegar diluted with water poured into the automatic softener dispenser in my washing machine. Just a word to those out there still using Chlorine Bleach that these two things do not mix, so do not use the same together in a load or you will create very toxic fumes.

So now the next time you just happen to be out of fabric softener, or you just want to switch to something a little less toxic just reach for the vinegar in your pantry and you will be set!

No comments: