Saturday, December 5, 2009

Childless=Lazy

I'm afraid that this appears to be the opinion of one of my closest friends, or should I say "friends". This friend is actually my best friend, one of my closest, and longest friends. She has always come out with snippy comments as long as I've known her, but lately they have really been getting on my nerves.

Today's episode is courtesy of a message she left on our voicemail this morning inviting us over for tea to see their new house. Sounds harmless enough right? Wrong!

Now Andre and I love to sleep as much as the next person. Lately especially Andre because he rises long before the sun to get to work on time. My friend left the following message on our voicemail at 9:16 this morning:

"Hi guys it's *** calling! It's about 9:15 in the morning. I was just calling to see if you wanted to come over this morning for tea to see the new house. I know it's really early in the morning and you're probably asleep..." It goes on from there about how they're up early because of the "baby". Normally I try not to let this sort of thing bother me, but today it did. Maybe I can blame it on the artificial hormone induced PMS that I am no doubt experiencing for the first time in about 7 months. Yeah, we'll go with that.

It's her tone when she leaves messages like this on the phone. And for the record, this is not the first time she has left a message like this on our voicemail, every time we don't answer the phone when she calls on a Saturday morning the message begins with "Oh, you're probably sleeping..." in the tone. She might as well just say "It's 9:00 and you're not answering the phone?! How can you let the whole day pass you by like that?! We were up so early this morning with the baby. We are just so busy because of the baby" For the record the baby is almost a year and a half. More like toddler, than screaming infant.

The worst part is that I feel like justifying myself to her! When she leaves a message like that I feel like I have to tell her everything that I did that morning. "Oh I'm so sorry I couldn't answer! I was having a shower/cleaning the bathroom/vacuuming" I know, so glamorous! Today I couldn't answer because I was already at work. At my career. Something she wouldn't know about because she's never had a career. As much as I would love to tell her this, I know it would hurt her feelings, so I would never do that.

For now I think the next time she calls I'm going to respond with "I'm so sorry we couldn't come to the phone, we were having people over for brunch/hosting overnight guests/out shopping/at work/having fabulous sex in different rooms of the house or yes, sleeping, because you can still be busy and be child free!

*Disclaimer: I in no way intended to offend any mothers, working or stay-at-home with this rant. It is related to one specific person, and in no way describes my feelings about parenthood, otherwise Andre and I would not be trying to become parents.*

1 comment:

Kelly O. said...

I know from personal experience that you are not lazy...
She doesn't think you're lazy either. She's jealous. Lonely. Frustrated. and maybe a little sad that she can't share parenthood with you...
or maybe she's just being a bitch.
but that being said I would just tell her you were having sex :)