Saturday, November 21, 2009

Being put back together--Follow Up.

I've been waiting to write this entry. Trying to let things settle in my brain a little bit.

So on Thursday morning I had the follow up with my gyno regarding my uterus. They had the results of my preliminary blood work (b/w), and my ultrasounds (u/s). All of my b/w was within the normal range. They had tested my TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone), LH (Luteinizing Hormone), and my Prolactin levels, oh and a pregnancy test for good measure. Surprise, surprise, I am not pregnant.

Then they checked my u/s results. The purpose of the u/s was to rule out PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) and to check the thickness of my uterine lining. It turns out that all my girl parts are perfect (for someone who doesn't get a period) and they ruled out PCOS. I guess the silver lining of this is that they didn't find anything wrong immediately. We'll go with that.

So the next step in all of this is a Progesterone Challenge . I was given the prescription for Provera, and I am to take it for 2 weeks. I am waiting for some pesky random spotting to stop before I start the prescription. I was told that if I do not get a period at the end of it all I am to call immediately to book another appointment. If I do get a period at the end of it, then I am to wait another month in the hopes that the Provera will have "kick-started" my cycles again. If it doesn't, I have to go back and they want to put me back on the Birth Control Pill (BCP).

This was the point of the appointment that I was not happy with. I feel like going back on the BCP is a huge step back. I asked what would happen when we wanted to try to conceive (TTC) if I went pack on the pill; I would have to go back off the pill, wait, TTC, and if unsuccessful go back to Dr. A for hormones to help me ovulate. Andre and I have talked, and we're not too keen on having to go back on BCP for 3-6 months (they want to put me on Seasonale) only to have to do the 6-12 month unsuccessful TTC wait, and then start fertility treatments that well, could take years to be successful. Let's face it, Andre isn't getting any younger (and my biological clock is already ticking).

So we have some thinking to do. We have thrown around the idea briefly over the last few days about starting to TTC in March. By then Andre will be done his probation period at work, he'll be at his maximum pay, and we'll have a benefit plan (although they don't cover any fertility medications, I already checked). Most importantly, the 5th of March is my 31st birthday. We still have alot to think about, and some numbers to crunch, especially being I am self-employed and do not get maternity leave benefits.

The good thing in all of this is that the ball is rolling, more slowly than I had hoped, but rolling nonetheless.

"Patience is the art of hoping."
~Marquis de Vauvenargues

1 comment:

Kelly O. said...

try not to put too much emphasis on the monetary readiness of conceiving...When God gives you a child He will provide the means to make it work :)
Hand it over to Him and you'll feel strong-- I know you will.
Praying for you and Andre both.