Monday, May 19, 2008

Movie and Book Review

So on the off chance that anyone (besides myself, and well Andre) actually reads this thing I decided to include some movie and book reviews. I can't promise that I'll blog about every movie I see or book that I read, but well I'm bored right now, so what the heck.

The Book:
My best friend Pam lent me a book to read, and from the first page I was hooked. And let me tell you I was a little hesitant because I'd never even heard of the authors before, and I'm always a little hesitant of new authors. Yes, I'm a creature of habit.

The book is Literacy and Longing in LA, by Jennifer Kaufman and Karen Mack.

It's the first book they've published, and it was a very good read.

The main character is a major book junkie who slips into these "book binges" when life becomes too stressful. She's just getting over a divorce and trying to get her life back on track. There are a lot of book references to the classics, but I didn't find it distracting, or hard to follow because of it. I was happy that I had at least read one of the books that was referenced in the story though (Emma by Jane Austen).

Their follow up book is now on the bookshelf. I might just have to pick it up.

The Movie:
Andre and I have been meaning to get to the movies for weeks now. We originally planned for Saturday night, but were pooped after spending the day in my grandmothers garden, so we went today.

Let me tell you, I got a thrill out of going to the movies on a weekday. I know it's a holiday Monday, but it was still fun.

We had the choice between the new Cameron Diaz and Ashton Kutcher movie or Baby Mama (the one I really wanted to see). Andre actually chose Baby Mama. No, he didn't have a fever, he actually chose it of his own free will.
I was really in the mood for a goofy, no-brainer type of movie, and this one fit the bill perfectly. Not as funny as Knocked Up, but it was still cute.
I would probably save your money and save it as a rental, but it was still a fun comedy.

No comments: